Followers

Friday, January 14, 2011

Objectives and New sites

This week has been very productive for me. I've learned a lot from new search sites. It's great to be able to share with other colleagues from other places and school contexts. One thing that was very significant for me this week, was to get to know the ABCD framework to write objectives. Right now, the Language Center I work for is redesigning its ESL programs and I think it's a great opportunity for me to be able to get to know about the latest trends on curriculum design so we can use them to improve our students learning outcomes.

I found it quite challenging sometimes to put it all together, methodology, evaluation, tasks, content. However the more I read and learn it becomes fascinating for me because it gives me the opportunity to experiment and try new things on my teaching practice.

I am additionally working in a government program on teacher education for elementary students. Our state has implemented a very ambitious program where ESL teaching has been taken to every single elementary school in the state, even to the most remote village. So far the program has survived over the last 6 years. There are still a lot of work to do, especially training those 1400 teachers. I've been working in this for the last two years or so.

I think all these resources will be very helpful for me in order to improve the teaching quality we offer in the university but most important, that we use them in order to help the elementary teachers to take them to the classrooms.

"In times of change, those who are
prepared to learn will inherit the land,
while those who think they already know
will find themselves wonderfully equipped
to face a world that no longer exists.
Eric Hoffer"



5 comments:

Leena Semi said...

A great quote that perfectly fits our context of ICT in education. The computer illiterate teachers inhabit a different world from what their students live in. And I feel that they are missing out on a lot of opportunities.

What comes to your 1,400 teachers to be educated, I hope you will be giving them concrete tools to work with. Teachers struggling with their daily workload really appreciate that!

Tharanga Weerasooriya said...

Hi Elsa

I also agree with you that it is a ot challenging in terms of the level of tiem and cognition it requires.

The quote you have sellected says something perfectly true. Our attitude to learning should be such that there is such a lot more for us to learn in our field as well as in the world.

I wish you all the best in your teacher training program.

Best
Tharanga

Tharanga Weerasooriya said...

Hi Elsa

There are some spelling mistakes in my post.Please forgive me for that. But, I do not know a way to edit my post in your account. I could do that with the others' acoounts. Please tell me the way so that I can edit it.

best
Tharanga

Juan Rivera said...

Great quote!

I agree with you on the fact that all teachers need to accept changes. That's not an easy task though. I think it is because last century as wel as the previous one moved a lot more slowly than now. It is kind of hard to convince someone who has been doing the same thing for decades it is time to move on. We need to remember technology in general is something recent in relation with time. Technology in education is even more recent. Both are moving extremely faster now than ever. But time will make the necessary adjustments.

Teacher said...

Thank keep
helping teacher in need